The Cannabis Talk Part III

Sharing you are in the cannabis industry

The Cannabis Talk Part III
January 11, 2017 The Evergreen Market

The Cannabis Talk Part III –

Communicating to others you are now in the marijuana business & the cannabis talk

Co-founder of TEM, Jeff Anderson

“This is one of the most enriching factors of being in the cannabis industry – having deep conversations, developing relationships and educating others on the benefits of cannabis.” -Jeff Anderson

The easy part was my wife and kids.  The hard part was my dad.  Everyone who is in my shoes has had to deal with the same situation; how to come out of the closet that you are now working in the cannabis industry.  Since the inception of my involvement with I-502 in Washington, talking to friends and family has been interesting, to say the least.  I would like to share my experiences with the hopes it might help out a person or two with their discussion.

First of all, I have probably told hundreds of people that I am in the cannabis business.  Most of the reactions are favorable – at least to my face.  I estimate 95% of the people I talk to seem favorable to interested in what I am doing.  The other 5% redirect the conversation to something safer or simply walk away.

As I reflect on the process for telling people, I break it down into 3 steps:

  1. Size them up
  2. Deliver the message
  3. Take it from there

When sizing people up on whether to tell them, there are a couple of factors that influence me.

  • Is it pertinent to them?  Why will they need to know what I do?
  • Is there a connection between us that can be strengthened by deeper sharing?
  • Do I think there is something about cannabis that can enrich their lives or help loved-ones?

“It is not only a plant that heals people’s emotional or physical pain, but also something that can enhance life experiences beyond one’s current belief.”

After I have decided to tell them, it is time to deliver the message.  There are 2 ways I do so; slow and deliberate or shock and awe.  If time and conversation allows, I prefer to have a deep conversation.  This allows for people to voice their opinion and provides the space for me to listen and respond to their feelings around cannabis.  Often, I am able to share my experiences with the individual, which inevitably helps advance their thoughts. If time is short, conversation is flowing, or I just want to have fun with people, I bring out the big guns and surprise them.

After delivering the message, the next part is the fun…their reaction.  You never know how excited a person will be, what stories they have, their personal experiences with cannabis or how shut down they may become.  Regardless of the outcome, I am always ready to engage and see where the conversations go.  This is one of the most enriching factors of being in the cannabis industry – having deep conversations, developing relationships and educating others on the benefits of cannabis.  It is not only a plant that heals people’s emotional or physical pain, but also something that can enhance life experiences beyond one’s current belief.

I hope that there is a nugget or two in this article that can help you have peace with talking to others about cannabis.

Written By: Jeff Anderson, Founder

Subscribe for more Evergreen Market updates

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

0 Comments

Leave a reply